Monday, October 27, 2008

Day Thirty Six: rest day

I hesitate to call today a "rest day." I got a lot done yesterday, but not everything that needed to get done, so I'm taking another day off.

I woke up early and got to work, and didn't have to use my mom's computer.

Something else I accomplished from my list....

From Mark on a Bike 08 2


I asked my barber where I could get some good barbecue and he recommended Buppy's.

I was a little skeptical with a name like that. "Bubba's" or "Buddy's" sure, that sounds manly enough.... but Buppy's??? That's a turtle's name. Or a chihuahua's.

When I saw the picture on the side of the catering van, I was even less reassured. There's a picture of a guy with a bad wig and a goofy smile.

However, the food was good, and it's all you can eat and drink for $6.95.

Still, don't take my word for it. Just look at these satisfied customers.

From Mark on a Bike 08 2


From Mark on a Bike 08 2


I was also able to visit with my family some. It was really nice to see them.

<><><><><><>

Starting now, the party's over. Tomorrow, Act 2 begins.

Until now, I've had a vague idea about finishing, and about how many miles I needed to ride each day. Today, however, I sat down and calculated exactly how many more miles I have to go and when I'll be arriving in Jacksonville.

When I get to the end of my trip in Florida, I'll buy a one-way ticket back to San Diego. From there, I'll fly back to Iowa on 11/23 using the second half of my round-trip ticket. Heather has a conference in San Diego which begins on 11/18, so I'm going to try to make it while she's there.

If I follow the ACA route, I'll have 1227 miles left. That's just under 70 miles a day, if I only take every sixth day off instead of every fifth. If I get off the ACA route at Wellborn and head straight to Jacksonville, it'll cut off about 100 miles, and I can cut off another 42 miles going from Washington, LA, through Melville instead of Simmesport. That's 1085 miles, making it 60 miles a day. I'll arrive in Jacksonville on the 17th, get my bike boxed up and shipped on the 18th, and fly out early on the 19th.

The party's over....

0 miles

1 comments:

Melissa Yergensen said...

60 miles a day? Wow, good luck with that. Oh wait ... you're probably already doing it. We are waiting with bated breath; does he make it in time? Does he get eaten in Louisian by a crocodile? Will he lose his brain functioning after all that riding and just keep on riding right into the Atlantic Ocean? I we'll just have to wait and see.
It's funny when I talk to Heather. I kinda want to know where you are and how you're doing but not really because I want to read about it first. :)