Monday, September 8, 2008

bar-end shifters

These days, bicycles are becoming more and more complex. My wife's bicycle has shifters on the brake calipers, those things you squeeze to make the bike stop. If you want to change gears you just push them to the left or to the right, depending if you want to shift up or down.

I'm still pretty low-tech when it comes to bikes. My shifters are on the ends of the handlebars, thus the name: bar-end shifters. I also use toe clips instead of the newer clipless pedals. The idea, at least for me, is that the fewer parts there are, the less likely something will break. Or so I hope.

Today, while out riding my bike in an attempt to get into shape for my trip, a guy passed me. As you can see, this is not an uncommon occurrence. Luckily for him, my allergies weren't bothering me. From behind me I heard him pipe, "Bar-end shifters??? They still make those??" As it was slowly dawning on me that I might've just been slighted, he glided past me. There was a sly grin on his face and it was only when I noticed his bike that I realized why.... he had bar-end shifters.


From mark on a bike 08

0 comments: