Monday, November 3, 2008

Day Forty Three: dustin, kevin, franklinton

Breakfast is served....

From Mark on a Bike 08 2


From Mark on a Bike 08 2


I was the only one at the inn last night so I had my own little table set up in the lobby.

From Mark on a Bike 08 2


Here's a picture of Bonnie and her two helpers.

From Mark on a Bike 08 2


After the day (and a half) off and the great breakfast, I felt pretty strong this morning - and my knees didn't hurt. I left the route in Clinton in order to trim a few miles off the day's total mileage and will pick it up again in Tangipahoa. I guess I won't be going on the Britney tour since Kentwood is four miles off the route. I had only planned going off the route so I'd have a hotel to stay in on my rest day.

Here are some pictures taken today.

From Mark on a Bike 08 2


From Mark on a Bike 08 2


I'm not sure what to make of this...

From Mark on a Bike 08 2


In Greensburg I stopped for something to eat since it's the last town with any services until my stop for the night. It's becoming more difficult to find foods that aren't deep fried. I asked if the turkey sandwich was fried and when I found it was decided on a burger, which is becoming standard fare.

There was a guy in a FedEx uniform who sat down just before me. He started up a conversation which, for a FedEx person, was REALLY long. Those guys don't alight for more than a few minutes. Consequently, I never got a picture.

His name is Dustin Cleveland. He said he's working for FedEx "just to keep busy." (His average day consists of driving almost 400 miles over a period of twelve hours, so I'd say it's working) He owns a couple of companies, and just reinvests in them. Dustin is 28 and plans to accept a transfer to Hawaii in about three months. He has a list of things he wants to do during his life, and one of the items on his list is to teach surfing in Hawaii. Accepting a transfer will help enable him to do that.

He tries to stay in good shape, and goes kayaking and bicycling. That way he can work out his upper and lower body. During the course of the day he occasionally gets sleepy while driving. When he does, he just pulls over and goes to the back of the truck to do push ups or walks around the outside a few times.

He used to own a company that taught mountain climbing in Baton Rouge. When he saw my raised eyebrows, he said, "Yeah, I realize there aren't any mountains here, but it did okay."

When we were talking about my bike trip, he compared me to Forrest Gump. Dustin is the third person to do that this trip.

"That day, for no particular reason, I decided to go for a little ride. So I rode to the end of the road, and when I got there, I thought maybe I'd ride to the end of town...." That's not EXACTLY how my trip started, but Heather still thinks I'm Gumpish. "But, you know," she adds, "in a GOOD way."

His FedEx machine buzzed, he said goodbye, and he was off.

Just east of Tangipahoa, where I hooked up with the ACA route again, I saw another cyclist coming from the opposite direction. I pulled over and met Kevin Moore. He's a drywall contractor from Durango, Colorado, who was able to take some time off for his first transAmerican trip.

From Mark on a Bike 08 2


As bikers do, we traded tips about what was ahead of each of us. He told me about a great place to camp and where to find a two-story mobile home.

He was dressed differently than most cyclists I've seen. For one, he was wearing jeans. They were rolled up to keep the cloth from getting ripped on the chainring. (though, like shoelaces, it's ultimately impossible and his were torn) He was also wearing regular cotton gloves with no padding instead of cycling gloves. I would liked to have known why, but there's very little time to get past the basics when you're standing on the side of the read going in opposite directions. After a while, you both start feeling antsy about getting back on the road.

From Mark on a Bike 08 2


He didn't use sunscreen because he wasn't sure what type of problems it may cause later in life if you use it. You know, as opposed to the higher incidence of known cancers you're more likely to get if you don't use it.

Without being critical, one thing I strongly recommended before we parted ways was that he unstrap the helmet from the back of his bike and attach it to his head. I was reminded of a quote from Klaus, and shared it with him. "I don't know why I bother wearing a helmet - it's only saved my life once."

23 miles later I stopped for the night in Franklinton.

72.53 miles
12.2 average
26.8 maximum
5:54:25 time
2117.0 total

0 comments: