Saturday, November 15, 2008

Day Fifty Five: the last day, rails-to-trails, bob

Day Fifty Five. My last day of this trip.

Just as I've done on every one of my previous riding days, I systematically loaded up my bike. Always the same things, and always in the same order.

Today really couldn't be a better day for riding. The temperature is in the low 70s, and I have a strong tailwind.

Additionally, I found a Rails-to-Trails bike path that goes from Baldwin, which is about eight miles from my hotel, all the way into Jacksonville - about 18 miles. Rails-to-Trails bike paths are usually terrific to ride on. They're ex-railroad routes so they don't have any steep inclines or descents (as if there are any in Florida). They're usually covered by a canopy of trees and are well-maintained. Generally, they're a great place to ride, and this one was no exception.

From mark on a bike 08 3


From mark on a bike 08 3


From mark on a bike 08 3


After more than 2700 miles, I entered Jacksonville.

From mark on a bike 08 3


And, looking at my saddle, it's just in time.

From mark on a bike 08 3


And not just the saddle, there's also my

From mark on a bike 08 3


Since it's a weekday there were very few bikers out this morning. Only one of them was going in the same direction as me.

From mark on a bike 08 3


I think I startled him as I slowly glided by and said, "Good morning." He said hi, then noticed the loaded touring bike and asked the usual questions. I asked my questions as well.

His name is Bob Doughty. He's 67 and retired. Bob REALLY knows what to do after retirement. No rocking chair for him. Although he has a limited income, he manages to travel regularly and has been to Greece, Ireland, Argentina, and China. He owns a kayak and two bicycles - a mountain bike and a road bike. He uses both bikes and the kayak several times a week, not just to stay in shape, but also because he enjoys kayaking and biking.

From mark on a bike 08 3


About ten years ago he took up ballroom dancing and met Lucille, his current girlfriend. He still dances regularly, and is an officer in his dance club.

Bob rides the MS150 every year, a charity ride for Multiple Sclerosis. It's a special ride for him because his wife died of MS.

Then, in his "spare" time, he takes classes at the University of Florida. When he learned that anyone over the age of 60 can audit classes for free he started taking a variety of courses. (and no exams!!) So far, his favorite classes have been a couple of Art History courses.

As we were riding we saw this guy crossing the path.

From mark on a bike 08 3


Bob said he regualarly sees a variey of wildlife on this path, including deer, racoons, and even rattlesnakes on his rides.

We continued talking and rolling through Jacksonville on the bike path. When he learned about my plans for the next few days, he offered to take me and my bike to the bike shop. He also offered me his extra bed during my stay in Jacksonville, and a ride to the airport on Sunday.

And, as if that wasn't enough, he invited me to the local theater this evening. He and Lucille had planned to go and said they'd love to have me join them. (He called her up and said, "A friend of mine from Iowa just got into town. Can we get another ticket?")

We stopped at the grocery store on the way to his house, then he made me lunch while I took a shower. He washed my clothes while we ate. Before the bike shop closed we hauled my bike over there.

In the evening we went out for some seafood at one of the local cafes, then went to a play at Theater Jacksonville, the city's community theater.

From mark on a bike 08 3


I met ONE person today, Bob. How appropriate and fitting an ending to my trip is it that he opened up his house for me? That's pretty much how it's been for the last two months. I said this last year after my trip, and I find it to be true after every bicycle trip I've ever taken: People are basically good... Wayne Pinkerton, Cecil, Klaus, Dave, the firefighters at Apache Junction, Don, Jim, the Rowes... and now Bob. My faith in humanity is always restored after traveling on a bike.

The end of a trip is always anticlimactic. There isn't a crowd cheering you as you cross the finish line, or a band playing in the background. You just roll to a stop.

And it's over.

Bob took a couple of pictures before we loaded our bikes into his car and, just like that, I was done.

From mark on a bike 08 3


Someone I met on my trip, when he heard what I was doing, responded a lot differently than everyone else. Instead of saying, "Wow, that's a long way," he said, "Wow, that's a lot of thinking."

He's right. It is a lot of thinking. And what I've come to realize, thinking, is that I'm the luckiest person I know. I have a lot to be thankful for, my family, my health, my friends... and none of it is really anything I've worked for or earned. It's just dumb luck.

This trip has been more difficult than my previous ones. It's required more of my resources, both physically and emotionally. By the end of the day, it's sometimes hard to string together a complete sentence, much less compose a blog full of pithy aphorisms and enthralling narrative. But, the bones of the trip are there so hopefully you'll feel like you followed along in some sort of capacity. If you followed all the way through to the bitter end, way to go!! You've completed the reading/writing portion of the exam and can now take your own trip. Thanks for following along.


26.45 miles
14.1 average
22.5 maximum
1:52:03 time
2737.2 total

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Congrats Mark! Sounds like you had a great time. I think it is amazing to go 55 days without knowing what will happen from one day to the next. Thanks for an entertaining read.