Thursday, August 7, 2008

training

Ugh.

It's embarrassing. I've ridden maybe 3-4 times since my last summer's bike trip. Granted, I did climb onto the stationary bike a few times last winter while I watched TV. Sometimes I even pedaled. My excuse is the same as it always is, and it's rock-solid: I'm lazy.

So, dragging my butt onto the saddle again hasn't been easy. There's one huge motivating factor that got me going.... fear.

I took a bike trip once without getting into good enough shape, and it was NOT a pretty sight. After several days of "discomfort," I and my butt and my knees and my muscles all got together and vowed NEVER to do that again.

Sure, your legs/knees/lungs may not be in the best shape, but surprisingly, the main distance-limiting factor is your butt. THE single thing that keeps you from riding forever is how long you can sit on a bike seat. Well, that and a very small amount of common sense.

0 comments: